Medical, Health, Dental, Life & Supplemental Benefits Enrollment Guidelines
The East Central ISD offers group health insurance coverage and supplemental benefits to employees meeting eligibility requirements for each product or coverage. The ECISD plan year for benefits begins September 1 and ends August 31 each year. Open Enrollment for plan year 21-22 took place July 13 through August 31, 2021, and only new-hires or employees experiencing a qualifying life event can enroll or make changes.
Eligible employees are offered coverage and are eligible to enroll at the following times:
- WITHIN 31 DAYS OF DATE OF HIRE: Eligible employees are offered coverage at the date of hire and have 31 days from the first day of employment to either enroll or decline coverage for themselves and dependents.
- DURING THE ANNUAL OPEN ENROLLMENT PERIOD: Eligible employees may enroll or make changes in coverage for the next plan year during the annual open enrollment period. The specific enrollment period varies from year to year, but generally begins occurs two different times of the year - once in the spring for supplemental benefits only and another in the summer for health insurance & last minute changes to supplemental insurances. Changes made during both enrollments are effective on September 1 of the upcoming plan year. Please read below for more details:
- Spring Open Enrollment: The Spring Open Enrollment normally takes place in late spring. During this open enrollment period, employees may make changes to supplemental benefits products only. All changes will go into effect for the upcoming plan year effective September 1. The specific enrollment dates will be communicated each year via district email as well as posted on the District at https://ffbenefits.ffga.com/eastcentralisd/how-to-enroll/. For 2021-2022, Spring Open Enrollment took place from April 26, 2021-May 7, 2021. Please see FAQs regarding Spring Open Enrollment.
- Summer Open Enrollment: The Summer Open Enrollment for 21-22 took place July 13-August 13, 2021. During the Summer Enrollment Period, emloyees may enroll or make changes in health coverage as well as changes in supplemental benefits products. All changes will go into effect for the upcoming plan year effective September 1. The specific enrollment dates will be communicguated each year via district email as well as posted on the District at https://ffbenefits.ffga.com/eastcentralisd/how-to-enroll/. NOTE: If employees do not make changes during open enrollment, then the current plan enrollments will roll over to the following year except for:
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (F.S.A.s) require new enrollment each year.
- Occasionally, the district may change insurance carriers for certain products. In the event of a carrier change, enrollment under the current carrier would not roll over to the new carrier so an initial enrollment would be required during the annual enrollment period.
- WITHIN 31 DAYS OF A QUALIFYING LIFE EVENT: Once the annual open enrollment period closes, employees can only enroll for initial coverage in health insurance or a supplemental benefit during the plan year as a result of experiencing a qualifying life event, and only if the employee notifies and provides proof of the qualifying life event to the Benefits Department within 31 days of the qualifying event. NOTE: Employees may not enroll in health coverage for themselves or dependents during the plan year due to a voluntary loss of coverage.
CHANGES DURING THE PLAN YEAR: The ability to make changes to your insurance elections after the enrollment period ends depends on whether or not the insurance coverage is on the cafeteria plan and/or whether or not you have a qualifying life event such as marriage, divorce, death, change in employment, death of family member, etc.
- Coverage for any product can be dropped:
- Coverage can be added only if within 31 days of a qualifying life event. NOTE: Employees may not enroll in health coverage for themselves or dependents during the plan year due to a voluntary loss of coverage.
- Changes in coverage such as adding or removing a dependent, changing plan type, or changing plan coverage level can only be done within 31 days of a qualifying life event. Employees may not enroll in health coverage for themselves or dependents during the plan year due to a voluntary loss of coverage.
Employees who do not enroll or decline coverage during any of the available enrollment periods will be considered to have declined coverage for themselves and any qualifying dependents.
Employees may self-enroll by accessing the District’s online enrollment system at http://benefits.ffga.com/eastcentralisd/HowToEnroll, or they may contact the third-party administrator, First Financial Group of America, or the Benefits Department for assistance. For life-event coverage changes, employees must contact the Benefits Department for assistance.