East Central National History Day
East Central History Day 2019
Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2019. Will be held in the East Central High School South Campus Cafeteria
What is East Central History Day?
East Central History Day is an academic project based competition that is a local part of a nationwide organization called National History Day. This competition is similar to a Science Fair, except History Day students write papers, construct exhibits, perform skits/plays, create documentaries, or design websites based on rigorous research. The competition begins at the individual school level. The winners (4 are selected from each category) from each school compete in the East Central History Day contest. Winners from this day go on to compete on the regional, state, and national level.
When is the Campus History Day?
- Heritage Middle School: Jan 9, 2019. Will be held in the Cafeteria
- Legacy Middle School: Jan 10, 2019. Will be held in the Cafeteria
What Does a Judge do at East Central History Day?
- On-site judges will judge on Wednesday at the district level History Day. No experience is necessary! Judges will be trained on site.
How does judging work?
- Judges will be trained, either on-site or via podcasts/videos using the National History Day rulebook and judging forms. Judges will evaluate one category at a time, as part of judging teams.
What if I am not a history expert?
- You don’t have to be a history expert! Instead, judging teams will be trained to recognize historical quality, to note the connection to the theme, and to identify clarity of presentation.
- To sign up for East Central History Day, please complete the Judges Sign Up Form
Every year National History Day® frames students’ research within a historical theme. The theme is chosen for the broad application to world, national, or state history and its relevance to ancient history or to the more recent past. The 2018-2019 theme is Triumph & Tragedy in History.
To enter the National History Day Contest start by reading the Creating a Project page and contacting your State/Affiliate Coordinator to inquire about entering at the local or school level of your contest. The top two entries in each category at the Affiliate Contest level will be invited to the National Contest. The National Contest will be held June 9-13, 2019 at the University of Maryland, College Park. To learn more about National History Day go to https://www.nhd.org/about